Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for Kitchen


And...then I disappeared.

Have you ever just gotten completely overwhelmed by everything and needed to walk away for a bit? Yep...that was me last week. So...I hopped in the car and went for a nice roadtrip for three days. Just riding in a car and enjoying the scenery...no internet, no phone. It was a nice recharge and I desperately needed it.

Unfortunately, it put me seriously behind on the A to Z. So...the next few days are catch up time. Bear with me. I'll be posting 2-3 posts per day for the next few. By next Monday I will (hopefully) be completely back on track.

Also...there will be a grouping of posts on Saturday as I take part in Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon. Come hell or high water, I will be participating. Oh...and in case you were wondering, I will be assembling the tent tomorrow evening. Read-a-thon season has returned. Yay!


Letter K was last Wednesday, but we'll just pretend that it's today mmkay? So my pick for letter K is The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.



Synopsis in a Sentence: 

White servant girl grows up as an adopted member of the family of slaves on a Revolutionary era plantation, finding herself stuck not quite belonging to either of the two "worlds" in her life.

First Read:

I read this one way back in 2013. I honestly don't remember how it came to land itself on my TBR, but my guess would be that others were talking highly of it. I was in the midst of a pretty heavy historical fiction patch at that time, so it may also have just been one of those books that came up as recommended by Goodreads based on what I was devouring at the time.

Why it Makes the List:


The Kitchen House was one of those books that I could not put down. It is a darker story with some uncomfortable topics and scenes, but it is just written so stinking well. Grissom creates some amazing characters. They are multi-dimensional, deep, and real. This book is just really well done. And no worries, there is still some happiness mixed up in there. In fact, be prepared to run the full gambit of emotions when reading this one. I highly recommend it. If you like historical fiction, it's a must. If you just want a good book...well...it's kind of a must there too.


Are you an A to Z Blogger? Leave me a comment so I can repay the visit.
Not an A to Z Blogger, but love the idea? Go here to see what other fun can be found in the challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips